Thursday, December 12, 2013

                       SWIMMING PAST JUDGMENTS
Written in 2011
It was this very encounter that God told me to go home and write about this experiences! 
My first reaction was to say, "WHO...ME?"  But this was the beginning of my journey to being obedient to the call of writing and I am so thankful!

Today I was reminded of the tremendous responsibility placed on Christians! I went to the health club to participate in my water exercise class.  The work was intense and pushed me beyond the point of what I thought I could do that day, but I kept up with the routine and was even called out by the instructor as an example to the class, because my efforts were recognized.  
When the class ended, I decided to treat myself with a few moments in the hot, steamy, swirling waters of the whirlpool!!   Mmm.... the water looked inviting!  There are actually two whirlpools that sit side by side in the spa area and both of them had adequate space available for me to envelope myself in the soothing water!!  As I approached the entrance to both of the whirlpools, I noticed a man all nestled down in one of the tubs.  At first, I hesitated to enter the water, because to look at him, he did not appear to be someone that I would immediately want to share a limited space with.  He was covered with tattoos, donned a tall multi-colored mohawk and didn’texactly seem appropriately dressed for a therapeutic experience!!  
 As I entered the water, he gave me a look that sent a chill down the back of my neck on top of everything!   For a brief moment, I moved slowly toward the other whirlpool ……but then, I remembered something that I read in a recent devotion about how we can make swift judgments about a person, simply by their appearance and that WE ARE ALL GOD’S CHILDREN!   As Christians, we are commanded to treat those we come in contact with as Jesus would!!  As I emerged myself deeper into the water, I looked him in the eye and gave a nod and said, “Hello”, he acknowledged my presence and nodded back.



I went to a spot at the opposite end of the whirlpool and took advantage of the warm bubbly water that seemed to immediately speak to my aching joints and center my thoughts on peace and tranquility.  After relaxing for a short period of time and deciding it was time for me to make my exit, I made eye contact with the gentleman again and said, “Take care of yourself!” I then silently excused myself and headed out to change my clothes.  I don’t really remember hearing him say anything, but he did acknowledge my departure with a nod.  On the drive home, I couldn’t help but to think about my encounter in the whirlpool.  How many times had I, being an African American woman, been judged and shied away from, simply because of the color of my skin??

 What a shame it would be if God turned away from us due to our appearance! What if he decided that we weren’t worth blessing, touching, healing or simply denied us the pleasure of hearing his still quiet voice that comforts us and tells us that if we just have a small amount of faith,everything will be alright.  I am thankful for those few moments in the whirlpool, because they reminded me that my job as a Christian is to reserve judgment on those who may look or appear different from myself.  We are to take the time to share a look, a smile or a kind word with the people that God places in our path. I don’t know if it meant anything to that gentleman, but I know that for the rest of my life, I will strive to follow God’s desire as stated in Matthew 7:12.  Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.  KJV
Thank you God for the Daily Lessons that you provide.    Thank you for the opportunity to be an example of your unconditional love and to prayerfully be a blessing to others.

No comments: